Rev Run's comfort food: Shrimp and rice, grilled banana split
April 10, 2015 at 9:08 AM ET
Celebrate family by cooking some comforting meals together. Rev Run, the frontman of the legendary hip-hop trio Run D.M.C., now shares delicious family meals alongside his wife, Justine Simmons, on "Rev Run's Sunday Suppers" on The Cooking Channel. Try his easy shrimp and rice and a decadent grilled banana split.
Momma Evelyn's Special Shrimp and Rice
Samantha Okazaki / TODAY
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup white rice
- 4 to 6 strips bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped small
- 1/2 onion, chopped small
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- One 25-ounce jar marinara sauce
- 2 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- Cook the rice according to the package directions. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and crumble.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the green pepper and onion and saute until the pepper is soft and the onion is translucent, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the marinara sauce and cook until simmering.
- Add the shrimp, toss to coat and cook over medium heat until pink and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the crumbled bacon. Serve on top of the rice.
Grilled Banana Split
Samantha Okazaki / TODAY
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 ripe but firm bananas
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream, for serving
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- Maraschino cherries
- For the chocolate sauce: Heat the cream in a saucepan over medium heat until simmering but not boiling.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips until smooth and combined.
- For the grilled bananas: Prepare a grill for medium-high heat.
- Cut each banana in half lengthwise, leaving the peel on.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter and honey.
- Brush the cut side of each banana half with the honey-butter mixture.
- Place the bananas cut-side down on the grill and cook until grill marks appear and the bananas have softened, about 2 minutes.
- To assemble the banana splits: Remove 2 banana halves gently from their peels and place in each serving dish. Top with some scoops of ice cream, the warm chocolate sauce, some whipped cream, walnuts and cherries. Serve immediately.